Monday, September 25, 2017

Barriers to Enlightenment



Today's blog will focus on barriers to 'enlightenment'. 

First of all many people perceive the word 'enlightenment' differently and have different inner definitions or understandings of this word according to their own readings, discussions with others, inner points of view or perspectives and so on.  So what does 'enlightenment' mean to you?  Not the topic for today... I am addressing a question I received which I have been asked so many times I decided to write a bit about it... it will be addressed more deeply in my next book. 

My book is in print... so it's coming... thanks for asking and waiting!!

So... this is why old stories of teachers agreeing with the various views students would have might seem a little strange.  It isn't... you will perceive things according to your own level of being...whether it is right or wrong.  It could be right for you because of the level of being you are currently at and so therefore you may be unwilling and/or unable to perceive it any other way...so it is the right way for where you are at... but not necessarily the right way in the larger view... or what some call the 'Greater Reality.'

So here are some barriers to 'enlightenment' ... by the way, they are the same for attaining 'Mastery'... (again something many may define differently)....



Imagining there is no such things as various 'levels of being' and that we can 'work' to evolve in a certain way....

Some individuals feel that to talk about 'levels of being' implies then that certain people are then 'better than' others and so therefore their view they hold within them is that we are all exactly the same inside.  This is ego talking...  popular clichés .... misunderstanding at best... lack of direct experience as well.

This view suppresses and disputes the very necessary fact that in order to grow and evolve spiritually it takes WORK and that something very real takes place when we do 'certain work'.  It also reveals that one does not really understand what we are made up in 'Essence' and how that can be worked with.


Self-importance...

"I know better... I already know these things... I have nothing to learn from you... you are wrong... this is not the right way to do things"   ...and on and on...many fancy, humorous even, distorted, 'political' ... views which one is unwilling or unable to let go of or even see clearly how one is...

In self-importance one's ego is very rigid, stiff, inflexible and difficult to penetrate .... one keeps going in the same way imagining one will get the results one is seeking which have not been coming... and yet one is not willing to open up to what would work...

It is very difficult for one in self-importance to see this, as it is highly unconscious and often would shatter the person's cherished view of themselves and likely the reality around them... something very difficult and fearful for them.

Imagining one has nothing to learn ... or that one is at a certain place internally or spiritually when one is not... not being able to take the ego shattering and so holding on to one's idea of oneself  discounting any feedback which may show one where one really is.


Cycling

Rather than seeking out new ways, one stays where one is and cycles around with the same 'ways' without truly shifting... on the outside things may appear to be altering when they are not...

It may take years for some of us to even realize we have been going around in circles... ending up in the same place again and again...


'knowledge' with a small k

One has more 'knowledge' than Knowledge... more information and thoughts than direct practical experience....

We have supported information and knowledge over true Knowing, Wisdom and experience...



Distortion of teachings

We frequently misapply, misinterpret, distort and misunderstand various principles and teachings...philosophies.  Sometime we then imagine they do not work well ... or at all.  If we are not applying something in the right way we can't expect results.  Furthermore, when we do not realize we are distorting, then it is difficult to do anything about it. 

I write about this in more detail in my book, as it is a major factor in relationship issues as well.




Lack of discernment

We truly desire to grow yet are unable to tell the difference between the myriad of things offered today in a society which sees the need for personal/spiritual growth and yet is full of places which work with us on the surface only. 

This is fine at the beginning... to go deeper we must find deeper...if we can't perceive deeper then we stay surface.



Comfort

We are creatures of comfort, pattern and habits... and tend to migrate towards things which do not push us, challenge us, shatter our illusions and encourage us to be our true potential.  Many of us do not want to work hard... in the various ways we may have to in order to get to where we may want to... both personally and spiritually.



Self-doubt or doubt that there is a 'Way' to get there... or something called a 'Way' at all...

Doesn't this explain itself?



Trauma...

Some people who have experienced trauma do not do the work or seek out the assistance they could to embark on their own journey ... trauma is a sad reality... we speak so much of it these days and it is a real barrier for some of us who do not take the necessary steps to seek out assistance...

Trauma creates so many inner barriers to things which could help us... I feel so much compassion and empathy for those who have experienced various traumas, but I encourage those who do to seek out the right place for them to work through these things.

You can do it... you have to see it for what it is and then desire to do it first.  I speak from experience.  I have been through various traumas myself.  Facing these things were the only way I ever got to where I am today... so this isn't lip service... I have been there... more than once...  There and Back again... like the hobbit story in the Lord of the Rings.

 To be brave you do not have to actually feel like you are brave... remember that. You can feel scared as hell and yet take the steps you have to take to get to where you want to go.



There are other barriers to 'enlightenment' ... or to experience the 'Greater Reality'... these are the ones I find most challenging ... one's that have kept many capable people from moving forward in ways they claim to desire.



Another Question....

I am adding the answer to this question because it is simple and I do not want to write a blog topic about it... although it could be a good one...

Question:   Are you saying there is only one 'Way'.... or that the way you were taught is the only 'Way'?

No.... I am laughing now... why?  I once asked the same thing...  remember I have had more than one teacher...Spiritual guide...Master...whatever you want to call them...my intent was to look more deeply into human nature and the psyche and spiritual paths ... religions... healing... enlightenment etc. etc...

True... as one of my teachers once said to me: 'Some paths will not take people where they want to go. Some do not know this.'  ..... but my note on this is that this is not for me to decide for you...


I studied various paths.  My 'Way' I walk is not the only 'Way' ... it is the only 'Way' I know because it is the 'Way' I walk and it has worked for me. 

What I did learn...walking in the 'Way' I have and experiencing various paths and teachers, is that there are certain core teachings...methods... ways of doing things that work... all these teachers and paths did these things...a few in slightly different ways... but in essence they were the same principles at work.  These are what I do myself ... they work for me... and I teach them to others now. 

If you walk a 'Way' and it works for you... keep doing it!  If not, seek...